Check back soon for announcements!
A much-loved Cumbrian music festival is returning for its 11th year in 2020.
Organisers have confirmed Music on the Marr will take place from Thursday July 16 to Sunday July 19.
The award-winning festival, hosted in the village of Castle Carrock, near Brampton, has built a reputation for the quality of its music and its warm welcome for visitors.
This year it celebrated 10 years of shows with performances from folk legend Martin Simpson, Scottish favourites Tide Lines and Blazin’ Fiddles and multi award-winners Merry Hell, among many others.
Headliners for next year have yet to be confirmed but festival director Richard Johnstone said that audiences could expect a treat.
He said: “We sold more tickets than ever in 2019 and buoyed by that vote of confidence we’ve decided to press ahead with another. We must be mad.
“The feedback from our audiences is just astonishing and when there’s so much love for a thing, you just want to make it happen again.
“There’s no way we would ever let the quality drop, so anyone booking for 2020 can rest assured we will once again have a line up stuffed with some of the very best music around.”
A ‘Friends of MoM’ scheme is being launched which, in return for a small fee to help the not-for-profit festival meet running costs, will offer supporters some exclusive benefits.
Local businesses or organisations able to offer financial support are also being sought with a range of sponsorship packages available.
A book chronicling the festival’s first 10 years, A Decade of Dancing, is also now in production.
Festival fans or those curious to know more are invited to check out musiconthemarr.com for video highlights from this year set to a soundtrack from Cumbrian/North East favourites Hadrian’s Union.
The festival has received plaudits from across the world of folk music and was named Best Community Arts Initiative at 2018’s Carlisle Living Awards.
7 October, 2019
Highlights from 2019’s festival – Headliners Tide Lines and Baghdaddies, Danny 5’s fireshow and a busy Marr
Notes for editors:
- Music on the Marr was founded in 2010 in a marquee left free following a village wedding.
- We provide Music in the Hat, a ‘give what you can afford’ concert on Thursday evening for early arrivals.
- We provide free access to all accompanied under-17’s exposing them to local, national and international musicians.
- We provide a series of music learning and developmental workshops free to all ticket holders during the festival.
- Partners in delivery include: Castle Carrock School, St Peter’s Church, The Watson Institute, The Duke of Cumberland Inn, Pennine Artisans and a wide variety of musicians, music teachers and the good people of Castle Carrock who give many hours of their time to help make the festival happen.
- The festival has raised thousands of pounds for the St Peter’s Church Restoration Fund and Eden Valley Hospice.
- Music on the Marr is produced and directed by Geltsdale Arts Ltd, a not for profit organisation.
- Twitter @MusicOnTheMarr Facebook @musiconthemarr Instagram @musiconthemarr
Richard Johnstone (01228) 670329 and 07802 409770
David Helliwell (01228) 830835